Mar 1, 2010

Mushrooms and Spotty Kale

The heavy rain has been amazing for our yard and trees but it's led to an explosion of mushrooms. The mulch that we put down a year or two back has been blanketed with layers of oak leaves. Underneath those layers it's warm, moist and a perfect mushroom breeding ground.C's father used to hike through the German forest to forage for mushrooms and would bring his treasures back for a tasty Abendessen.
I know nothing about identifying specimens of the mycological world and rather than risk serving us a nice plate of poison, I dumped my collection in the green bin.I'd love to be able to identify the edible mushrooms from our backyard but I'm not sure I'd ever feel truly confident (ps- for locals, The Bay Area Mycological Society holds regular mushroom forays).

On a different note, can anyone help me figure out what's going on with my kale?
The poor leaves look like they've been attacked by a viscious hole-punch.

3 comments:

karey m. said...

i've not even one green thumb, but i think your kale looks...interesting like that.

patterns are cool!

{my best guess would be that they're stressed out.}

xoxo. {and really? i'm submitting this comment? really?!}

Farmgirl Susan said...

Something is nibbling on your kale - I'm guessing cabbage worms, especially if the weather has been wet. They're very annoying - and ravenous! :) Check the undersides of the leaves for them. A sprinkling of diatomaceous earth is one way to organically deal with them, though it's not always 100% successful.

You might want to just harvest what's left and enjoy it! Don't pull the plants from the ground, though - just snip the leaves, and if conditions are favorable the plants should grow back. :)

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

I covet mushrooms, but like you, I have no idea which are poison and which are not.

Nice to have found your blog ~ gardening is on my list of to-do now.