Feb 22, 2010

Redwoods and Pretzels

We spent Sunday afternoon on a rainy walk through the redwood groves in Joaquin Miller Park. Before moving across the bay from San Francisco, I had no idea that Oakland was so beautiful.
Other weekend activities included making granola and baking pretzels. (The back of our stovetop is the best place for letting dough rise. Yet another reason to love the Wedgewood.)
I thought the pretzels were rather tasty but they received a pretty major thumbs down from the resident German. The comments were: too thick, too doughy, not crispy on the outside. True, they were not like the Brezel that we ate in Germany (and apparently I didn't even have a good one...) but I'd happily make them again.They were surprisingly simple to make. That whole boiling-in-water process had always intimidated me but it's much easier than poaching an egg (and kind of fun). I see bagel-making in the near future.

**Tio, had we brought the granola with us to the redwoods we might have seen Babar and his forest friends...

5 comments:

Dallas Shaw said...

that photo of the green trees- so pretty
dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

My Owl Barn said...

Love the photos of the park! It sounds like you had a great time!

caroline duke said...

you are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place!

we have dirt here. dry, ugly dirt.

evencleveland said...

It sounds like a perfect weekend (and I think the pretzels look tasty).

katy elliott said...

I've been dying to try pretzels. Yours are beautiful!